Fair Work Ombudsman v Skilled Offshore (Australia) Pty Ltd  FCA 275
In a recent case in the federal court, hefty awards were made to two people (the “Loves”) who were refused work by Offshore Management Services (OMS) because they were not members of the Maritime Union of Australia (MUA).
Ironically, the MUA was on the receiving end of eight charges relating to the refusal to allow the Loves union members.
- A penalty of $79,200.00 to the MUA.
- The MUA pay Mr Bruce Love $352,100.00 and Mrs Lynne Love $371,200.00.
- OMS to pay the Loves one-third.
The Court also left the door open for the payment of any interest and costs.
Greg Reiffel Industrial Relations & Human Resources Consulting has been providing the following services to businesses for over 30 years:
- General HR and IR advisory service.
- Fair Work Commission representation (eg unfair dismissals, adverse actions, etc.).
- Workplace investigations and mediations.
- Policies and procedures.
- Discipline & Termination.
- People Audits (are you at risk of prosecution?).
- Enterprise Agreements, Contracts of Employment, Individual Flexibility Agreements.
- On-site HR services.
Contact Greg on 0438 906 050 or mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org.